Saturday, August 8, 2009

Walla Walla, WA to Dayton, WA

Miles: 39.4
Total Miles: 328.2
Climbing 1812’

When I got up at 6 AM it was pouring rain and 55°. It certainly was a huge difference from the very hot weather of a few days ago! I was thankful that I had gotten the bike totally prepared for rain last night…Ziploc bags for electronics, rain gear out, handlebar bag loaded and shower cap helmet cover. Everyone was congregating in the breakfast room at 7 and it was announced that we would leave at 9 instead of 7:30. With the extra time, I called my parents and wrote postcards, which of course, I have not mailed yet! The rain actually stopped and we left the hotel at 8:30 wearing long sleeve shirts and rain gear as there was intermittent light rain. The scenery was beautiful, gold and brown with little bits of green…wheat fields, fallow wheat fields, and trees! There were long rolling hills and I thought the ride was wonderful.

Barb K among the fields of wheat

Anne with "the farmer"...note warm clothes!

We had a long downhill into Waitsburg where I got up to almost 39 MPH. What a fantastic ride! But I was cold after that and was glad to arrive at the Wild Stallion café where several bikes were already parked. I had the best hot chocolate I have had in ages, followed by the bacon, egg and cheese sandwich that I had been craving since the 90 mile day. Knowing that we had only 10 more miles to ride, we lingered there as the rain had started again.

Where there is food, there are WomanTours riders to enjoy it! Clark and Virginia share a huge cinnamon roll.

There is alot of wheat out here!

This one is for Ben

The town of Dayton was delightful as every small town has been, with many little things to do, sights to see, and people interested in our ride. Dayton was no exception. I just LOVE coming to town after the ride. This was a one stoplight town, with a main street full of life, but also with many shuttered store fronts. Since there was no one place that all of us could stay, we had four locations, three B&B’s, and the old Weinhard Hotel. I was at the hotel. Since one of our ride partners was at a B&B we went to her place first and were graciously invited in to see the rooms, one of which Kathie had to pick, but which one.

Kathie at her B&B

All three were lovely themed rooms, with high ceilings, lovingly restored and furnished with antiques. We rode by The Purple House B&B and it was also very cute. The hotel was wonderful with friendly owners, a huge Victorian lobby with a piano, wonderful 12 foot ceiling rooms, and a roof top garden full of flowers.

Rooftop garden at the Weinhard Hotel

By this time, the sun was coming out so I dumped my luggage and went to see the town. It was only noon! The Columbia County Courthouse was my first stop. It was the oldest continuous use courthouse in the state of Washington and was built in 1887. County offices are housed in the building as well as the courtroom which was the original. Although we were unable to go into it, I took a picture through the window. The building has been restored and many original parts of it were used both outside and in the interior.

Columbia County Courthouse

Dayton itself is in the Touchet River valley and it was the summer meeting place of many Indian tribes. They would come to the area to trade goods and also to have competitions, to socialize and to gamble. The town was located on the Nez Perce Trail where Lewis and Clark came through in 1806 on their return from the Pacific Ocean. I went into a few small shops and then found out that there was a quilt shop here in town so rode to that! The lady was very nice and I watched her working on a quilt on her long arm quilting machine, fascinating.

My next stop was the old train depot. It was the oldest existing depot in the country and was built in 1881. Originally across the Touchet River, it was moved to its present location by moving it on roller logs and winching it with horses.

Dayton Depot

Barb K was headed out to see the Patit Creek Campsite of Lewis and Clark so I joined her. This was a diorama like, full size replica of their campsite in 1806. It was made with silhouettes of the men, horses, and activities of the site. I am guessing that each figure was cut on a plasma table and my oldest son will understand how it was done, as he has built a table himself! The 5 mile round trip was well worth the ride as it is not on our exit route from Dayton tomorrow and we told others of this so that they can see it before they leave town in the morning. We also stopped at the very small farmer’s market where lots of fresh fruit and vegetables were available.

Endless wheat fields

Lewis and Clark at the Patit Creek Campsite in 1806

We hurried to return to the hotel as we were told earlier that every Friday night from 5 to 6, an elderly couple came to play the piano and drums and that we should be there. Well, it was such fun. They played and played and then gave out all kinds of little percussion instruments to all of us (I think that 20 of the group of 27 were there) and we all had a wonderful interlude. Dinner was moved up so that we could stay the full hour. I think that we all enjoyed the music as much as they enjoyed having us to play for them.

Music in the lobby of the hotel

Clark and Nancy enjoying the music

Dinner was delicious, as usual, as Linda is a fantastic cook and we ate on the front lawn of one of the guest houses where the group leaders were housed. Tomorrow will be a 70 mile day, so I am going to bed. Thank you all for the many messages on the comments part of the blog. I really appreciate seeing them each day, especially after I have had a long ride. I am doing great, loving the gorgeous scenery and taking every opportunity to see all I can of our beautiful and expansive country.

1 comment:

Marjory Spraycar said...

Hi Anne,
So far so good! I'm following your journey daily, and feel like I'm on the ride, too. Thanks for being such a faithful blogger.

Marjory