Thursday, August 13, 2009

New Meadows, ID to Cambridge, ID

Miles: 48.8
Total Miles: 656.3
Climbing: 1435’
Total descent today: 2676’

Nancy N. and I were supposed to have our pictures taken by Peter this morning but a small communication error had him going to Nancy’s place at the lake instead of our motel…and he was up at 7 am. Sorry we missed you, Peter!

The ride today was mostly very easy, though started out very cool. I have been seeing lots of “Open Range” signs and today we saw why! Right on the side of the road was this bull!

Believe the signs

...and there he was, looking at us riding by...

Scenery from the day

That is what they do here

At the same time I was trying to get the photo, a 15 vehicle army convoy was going the other direction! We rode through Council where I stopped to see a small museum about the area and it was well worth the 30 minutes I spent there. There was much excitement in 1898 when the RR came to Council to transport copper from the mines that were located in the area.

Old RR engine in Council, ID park

There are at least three times as many different jerseys on this trip as there are women. Some days we just look alike and today, for some reason, lots of us wore the same one, our tour jersey.



And this one is for Graham and Sherri. I had to get my grand dog pats in and this one had to do for me today.

Hello Tesla, eat your heart out! Meet Baxter!

This guy had some nice bikes for sale!

Just me and my shadow

We have been seeing many snakes as road kill but today, I saw a live one, about 3’ 6” long and this afternoon I identified it as a Gopher Snake. It was not the first one I have seen! I also saw a fox roadkill today. I also saw several hawks as well as heard them.

Gopher Snake

The trend of the ride today was definitely downhill, though we had at least a 20 mph headwind for the last 15 miles. I hope this was not a taste of what will come as we begin our ride West in Oregon tomorrow! Once in Cambridge, population 360, I looked for bicycles, as I was one of the last to arrive after my museum visit. The bikes by a restaurant always means FOOD, and cyclists there. We were creating quite a stir, especially when Nancy N. waltzed in wearing the Tutu that she had bought at a little store earlier today!

Nancy showing off her tutu

The locals just knew we were nuts when they heard “the rest of the story.” It is always fun to talk to people about what we are doing! This community is a small farming, ranching, and logging community. It is also the gateway to Hell’s Canyon where we will ride tomorrow, the deepest river canyon in the USA. Since I will have no internet tomorrow night, you will have to wait a bit for that blog entry.

How they tell the weather in Cambridge

I have found ANOTHER new bike, Ben. Can I buy it, Ben, huh, can I?

We are at the Frontier Motel tonight and it is a nice little place which I am sure is a very busy place on weekends due to visitors to the Canyon. They had a great sign out front!

The four sag drivers and the sous chef need an attitude adjustment...perhaps a margarita as we go back into Oregon tomorrow!

Praying Mantis I saw outside our room tonight

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,
I'm sure enjoying your tour journal - you're riding thru some pretty country :-)

The yellow and black bike you asked Ben about, is one of Cycle Oregon's logos - it was left there from when Cycle Oregon stayed in Cambridge a number of years ago. We were there! Now you're going to see Hells Canyon, Halfway, Baker City, John Day Fossil Beds, etc - all roads we have ridden on various Cycle Oregon rides. I'm looking forward to your photos and descriptions - seeing familiar places thru new eyes.

Keep having fun!
Edna

Graham said...

See? Bostons are all the same, they just want their ears and necks scratched. Tesla says hi.