Monday, August 24, 2009

Blue River, OR to Eugene, OR

Miles: 60.8
Total Miles: 1137.3
Climbing: 582’ (do you get the trend here?!)

As was the case in the past few days, it was a VERY chilly start, with full warm clothes to start the ride. I rode almost all the way in those clothes but shed some at the last SAG stop. For the most part, our ride was slightly downhill, perhaps 1 or 2% but with a headwind to keep us from going too fast. My average was 15.8 until we hit town and went sightseeing in Eugene. It was not my most energetic day and I did not feel right starting out. It turned out that my brake was rubbing on the wheel causing me to work very hard to pedal! No wonder that I could not keep up with my ride group today. I usually check that each night but I guess I overlooked it last night.

But, to back up a bit….We rode along the lovely McKenzie River for much of the ride today. It was beautiful, with some rapids and some slow moving water. If it had not been so cold, a swim would have been very welcome today, on a short mileage day (only 55 miles...the other miles being in Eugene) We passed a covered bridge along the route which was a nice surprise!

Covered Bridge

Beautiful morning along the McKenzie River

Didn't see any and have never seen a sign like this!

Most of the ride was through farms, Christmas tree nurseries, and hazelnut groves. These nuts are not harvested until a freeze pops open the hulls!

Hazelnut Groves

The last few miles into the city were on fairly busy roads but we arrived at our hotel without a problem except that it was about three hours before check in time. Mary had gotten directions to REI so several of us rode downtown to see it, mostly on a bike path as this city is VERY bike friendly. I did not buy anything but we soon found a place to eat lunch, though they only served breakfast on Sundays, so we ate breakfast again!

Rapids on the Willamette River in Eugene

After a ride along the Willamette River on the bike path, we headed for the hotel. When I checked in, I received a message from Paul and Dorothy, cousins of Sherri (my daughter-in-law) to call them. I did and we arranged to meet after I showered and got changed out of bike clothes. We had a wonderful visit and chat in the park of a local shopping area. They brought me a bag of mixed chocolates which I shared with the group for dessert tonight and made a generous donation to hospice! I always knew that Sherri had lovely family and they were no exception. Thanks so much for the wonderful welcome to Eugene, Paul and Dorothy!

Dorothy (Sherri's mom's cousin) and Paul

When I returned from the visit with them, I saw Rebecca S. in the parking lot with Barbara, her partner. Rebecca rode on the Southern Tier with me and lives in Seattle. They drove down to see the seven members of the ’07 ST group who are also on this ride. They also brought produce from their garden and a case of peaches from the farmer’s market in Corvallis which we ate for dinner tonight. There was a nice wine and cheese party and hors d’ouvres to welcome Jackie M. (the president of WomanTours) to the group as well as several visitors who were here tonight, friends of other riders.

After dinner and the map meeting, I went with Rebecca and Barbara for a nice walk on the river walk along the Willamette. Barbara was a hospice nurse for three years and was very good providing insight into how people deal with illness and dying. Thanks for your help in understanding my questions and providing such good information!

We have only 40 miles to ride tomorrow so we will not be leaving until 8:30 to avoid the cold and the Monday morning traffic. That is fine with me! Good night to all my faithful followers! Only 6 more riding days...

3 comments:

Ben said...

While I know that you are still enjoying every moment, it must be a little bitter-sweet coming into your last days with such memorable folks in country as stunning as you've seen. I love you a bunch!

AnnieBikes said...

...and I love you too. I can't wait to see you in six short days! (well, a 71, 81, and 102 mile days in there!) See you Sunday!

Dottie said...

So glad you were able to connect with Dorothy and Paul. I knew you'd enjoy meeting them. Have a great rest of the week!