Sunday, August 30, 2009

Portland, OR to Bristol, TN

Well, I am home, feeling much better and so very happy to be here with my dear Ben. I flew to Atlanta which had the airport closed for a while before I arrived due to thunderstorms. When I arrived the airport was like the Sunday after Thanksgiving. There was not a seat in the place and passengers for dozens of delayed or canceled flights waited in lines to appeal to gate agents for flight status and standby possibilities. I patiently waited when I realized that there were two flights to TRI before my scheduled flight at 11 PM, hoping to fly out earlier. The gate agent actually changed my flight for free and then the wait began, and the gate changes started, and the times changed, and changed again. Finally, I was on the plane and arrived in Bristol at precisely the time I was supposed to arrive without any changes, midnight. Also on the plane were my neighbors, Steve and Alice, returning from a hiking trip in Wales, their friends, another doctor and his family from here, and an oncologist from Abingdon! I think I have never been on a plane back to TRI without knowing someone.

We gave Steve and Alice a ride home and I dropped into bed for the best sleep in 30 days. It will take me some time to get all my thanks yous out but I do so appreciate all the emails and notes regarding my fall. I will be back on the bike in a few days and enjoying it as much as ever and planning the next adventure.

Thanks for tuning in. My blog will be staying up as it is not just a trip blog! I report on some other trips, too, so stay tuned if you wish for other updates. I will certainly have a donation update in the next few days.

No comments: