Monday, August 17, 2009

Baker City, OR to John Day, OR

Miles: 79.9
Total Miles: 854.4
Climbing: 4408’
Maximum Speed: 39.1

The day was very cold, 36°, but sunny and gorgeous! Everyone dressed warmly, with long fingered gloves, ear bands, wool socks, and layers. We knew it was going to warm up by about 45 degrees by the end of the day! I was very glad to have the layers to start!

Map of the day

The mileage for the day was among our highest of the trip, though we will have a century (100 miles) on the last day. What made the day memorable were the three big climbs! About six people did not make the ride today. Ramsey was suffering from Achilles tendonitis, several people were just in need of a day off, and a few feared the terrain. A few rode the SAG vehicle part of the day. Barely before Kathie and I had gotten to the edge of Baker City, we flushed a huge covey of quail, at least 20 so that started the day with a flourish!

There were many basalt towers today along the route and a map I saw showed this area of Oregon to have the most of any place in the state. If you missed my post on basalt, you can look at 8-05, Umatilla to Walla Walla. The ride was lovely, along the Powder River, on the Sumpter Stage Highway, also know as Route 7 and now we are on the due west portion of our ride. It is hard to believe that I have already ridden over half the ride. It has been spectacular every day. Michelle, our guide from the Southern Tier used to start every map meeting with “tomorrow is one of my favorite rides!” I think that if I was guiding this trip, I would be saying the same thing. Every day has been unique and beautiful.

There was an osprey nest high atop a pole on a platform, obviously place for that reason. There were two birds in the nest and they looked very close to fledging to me, standing on edge of the nest. Many hawks were also along the route today as well as numerous small birds dead in the road. I am guessing that they were nesting in the numerous dense shrubs along the road and when the flitted out, they got slammed by a car or truck. Reminder to self: never go on a bike trip again without binoculars!

At the top of the first climb, Sumpter Pass, 5,082’, there was a wonderful cheering bunch of women, all those who did not ride, awaiting us. Since the climb was at mile 30 and the Subaru SAG was at mile 15, the van was leap frogging the SAG today. It was really great to finish the first one to such a group, with Ramsey the ringleader!

Elizabeth, Anne, and Kathy celebrate the completion of the first climb

Barbara, on the recumbent, finishes the first climb

Marilyn, who broke her pelvis on the UGRR last year with me, is back on the bike and riding well!

Thanks, you all! After each climb, we had a long wonderful downhill with smooth pavement and I did not brake all the way down, except when a big RV towing a car passed me on a curve. The lack of traffic on this Sunday morning was a blessing, for sure.

The second climb was to Tipton Pass Summit at 5,124’ and again, we had a fantastic downhill after it. The weather had warmed up enough to strip off all the heavy layers, long finger gloves, tights, fleece ear band, socks, arm warmers, and extra shirt! I did keep my jacket on for the downhill as it was still cool.

Tipton Pass Summit sign

This area reminded me so much of Philmont, NM, on the Venture Scout trip in 2004

The van and trailer rig, with bikes from those not riding today

Before the last climb we had lunch in a small café which had a bar built in Chicago in 1850. It was beautiful. Ramsey, realizing the waitress was getting overwhelmed by the group, took up the chores behind the bar.

Ramsey serving Judy in the old bar

The third and last climb of the day was to 5,277’. This downhill was really exhilarating as we had spectacular views of the Strawberry Mountain Range. I had never heard of it either! However, the highest peak was just over 9,000’.

View of the Strawberry Mountains coming off the last climb of the day

We had hoped to stop in Prairie City, OR (13 miles before John Day) for a quick snack or ice cream but it was closed up tight on this Sunday afternoon and we blew on through hoping to find a place in John Day. Kathie and I were immediately pulled into the giant magnet that the Dairy Queen had and a hot fudge sundae was quickly consumed, with our motel, a Best Western, right across the street.

Basalt towers near John Day, OR

I made it 80 miles!

I felt really good after the 80 miles and so got on the laundry list. When we arrive at a motel before a day off, we immediately take over the washing machine (there were two here) and anyone who wants to use it puts her name on the list with a room number and the laundry gets done in a very orderly fashion. I got mine finished before dinner! Tomorrow, I will clean the bike and visit a museum here, buy a few little incidentals like sunblock chapstick and a mailer for a motel key I accidentally “stole” in my jacket pocket in Halfway, OR. It had a very nice brass room number on a special hotel insignia so I felt I should return it! I am really ready for the rest day!

No comments: