Saturday, August 29, 2009

Astoria, to Portland

Miles: 103.4
Total miles for trip: 1491.6
Climbing for today: 3578'
Total climbing for trip: 63,843

Well, I did it. I rode the century. Never mind that I could not shift into my big chain ring all day because of my left thumb, and never mind that my thumb was a real pain (literally and figuratively) and that it rained and misted for half the day. I made the 100 miles (plus the 3 to the bike shop to get my bike packed and shipped) Kathie was great and rode with me all day. It took me 7 hours and 41 minutes of ride time. I sure was glad to get there.

Our banquet was last night and I am now at the Portland Airport trying to finish this before I board. If not, I will try to post pictures when I get to Atlanta tonight where I have a three hour layover.

Thanks for all your support and comments. Thanks for all your donations. I will give a report later regarding my totals.

5 comments:

Ann Gregory said...

Anne, you never cease to amaze! We were devastated when we read of your fall, thinking what a letdown it would be for you (and the rest of us) for you not to be able to finish the Loop. Oh, we of little faith! Of COURSE you rode the final 100 miles! I can't think that we doubted it for a second. Congratulations, of course, and welcome home!
Ann Gregory in St. Paul

Nola Belding said...

Ditto what Ann Gregory said. Congratulations! How sweet will be your own bed!!!

Ben said...

You are so amazing--but I knew that 35 years ago!! Glad you are OK and just a little sore--can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne, so sorry to hear you fell but glad you are mostly ok. It has been a pleasure to follow along with your blog. I highly recommend that sometime in the future, you ride the Oregon Coast the proper direction (North to South) and in September, after school has started. The traffic is MUCH less, and the weather is better, and the views are better.
It's been a pleasure :-)
Edna

Clare said...

Well done, you really showed determination to ride a century (160.9 kilometers which sounds even more amazing) after tangling with tram tracks (which I did once just going home from the grocery store).
I loved your stories and photos. You put in some hard yards over some extremely rugged country then took the time to share with all your fans.