Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mitchell, OR to Prineville, OR

Miles: 47.4
Total Miles: 976.7
Climbing: 2452’

Mitchell Rock, just West of the town on Highway 26

This was the first day that I have started riding with only a light weight jacket on and I had it off within 10 miles. That was because we had a 10 mile, 5-7% grade climb! As we climbed, the predominant smell was the burning brakes on the trucks going down the hill as we climbed up. The climb was tough in the heat, but it was followed by a 16 mile downhill or level ride.

Anne at the top of Ochoco Pass

Ponderosa pines reminded me of Philmont

The road was very rough so we had to pedal almost the entire way, not my idea of a downhill! It was a gorgeous day again but back up in the high 90’s. What a change after the mornings we have had recently! We were told that there was a very nice County Park outside of Prineville where we could go for a swim. However, the water was not particularly inviting with many geese around and with the water levels way down for this time of year, we passed. However, Kathie and I drank chocolate milk from a nearby store and ate our sandwich.

We arrived in Prineville at a little after 12 and fortunately the rooms were ready at the very nice Stafford Inn. My roommate is Marilyn who was on the UGRR last year with me until she fell and broke her pelvis. She has been across the country so many times, she has almost lost count! I want to be like her when I grow up! We spent the afternoon working on the bikes. She was changing out a severely damaged tire and I was rotating my brake pads, as they have become very worn on the rear with so many huge downhills. I had a problem but it was soon resolved with the able knowledge of one of our older riders who knows all about bicycles. Thanks, Carolyn.

Our cook, Linda, continues to amaze and delight us with her delicious meals. We eat very well, healthy, and hearty. She keeps us full and happy!

Road kill today: Numerous rabbits and deer. 3 skunks, a chipmunk, a fox and bones, bones, bones. I am guessing that the bones are mostly deer as they are scattered and near the road, and are large animals.

No comments: