Monday, August 3, 2009

Hood River, OR to Biggs Junction, OR

Miles: 46.7
Total miles: 129.3
Climbing: 2047’

We had a 270 foot climb out of Hood River this morning and we left at 7 AM as the day was rumored (?!!) to be very hot. (it was 98 when we arrived at the motel) We pedalled up on a road past endless fruit farms. Cherry laden trees were everywhere as well as apricots (all finished) and other fruits and berries. Our ride was spectacular, high over the river today. However, there was a definite change in the landscape from yesterday. It was much drier, the trees were shorter, more stressed, and the land was not green! We were clearly leaving the wonderful ecosystem of the Gorge. Within two miles we started riding on the Mark Hatfield Trail which was a part of the old road and it was glorious riding, with rolling hills, shade, the Mosier Twin Tunnels, which were wonderful airy tunnels, open on one side to the river and its breezes. It was unfortunate that the trail only went for about 4.6 miles. We had a 3 mile climb, 5% grade, up to the Rowena Viewpoint which was absolutely stunning in its views. We had expansive views both east and west on the Columbia, as well as down the road which we would ride after leaving the Viewpoint. This road was fantastic, curvy, 5% grade down, and I flew down it!

Soon after the wonderful ride down from Rowena, I elected to visit the recommended Wasco County Museum and the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center. Both were housed in the same building to the left about 3 miles before The Dalles. There was about a mile long ride into the museums, against the wind and I was reminded again how fortunate we were to be riding east with the prevailing winds out of the west at 20 mph today. After a delightful hour and a half, I was on the road again, alone for a short time into The Dalles, pronounced like Pals. We had heard about a restaurant named Cousins and it was a DO NOT MISS place to eat homemade cinnamon rolls, about 3” high and 6” across. Luckily, Denise, our guide came in as a 6th person and was able to split it with me. It was delicious and calorie laden but I did not hesitate! We are burning lots of calories these days. The Dalles is the official end of the Columbia River Gorge, although it looks like the Mississippi width river. It is huge. The end of the gorge will not end our time on the river, however, as we will travel east on it for another couple of days.

Denise left in the van, having bought groceries and I rode with the other five women until we had to enter I-84 again. I took off wanting to get that 10 mile stretch done as fast as I could. With a 20 mph tail wind and a flat road, I was going 22-24 mph! It was really hot and when I stopped to flip my map (as I did not know which exit to take), Karina and Glenna said they were going to stop at the Deshutes State Park on the river of the same name and that there was a swimming hole. Well, it turned out to be the Deshutes River and it was the nicest stop I could imagine. WomanTours will need to put that one on the cue sheet for the next group! Those women already there had taken a swim in the lovely, cold water. The river had a good bit of current and a very sandy bottom.

The Deshutes Crossing was one of several rivers on the Oregon Trail and it was treacherous for the weary travelers. They often had to hire help to get their personal possessions across, while swimming their livestock. In high water, lives and goods were lost, just as they were crossing the Columbia. For us, it was absolutely wonderful, like the Neuces River in Texas where we had such a nice swim during the Southern Tier. The break in the day, with the heat, made it a perfect stop for us. Since we knew the rooms at the motel would not be ready early, and since Biggs Junction was a truck stop, a few fast food places, and that was all, we did not hurry. We ate lunch and several took another dip in the cool water. The last few miles dried our cycling clothes completely. Nancy N. and I roomed together and both of us were intent on finishing our blogs since we have a 90 mile day tomorrow, over 100° heat predicted for Umatilla, OR, and no internet at the next motel. Wish me luck. I have been hydrating all evening and our start will be at 6:15 in the morning. The ride starts with a bridge crossing into Washington State (we come back to Oregon later in the day) which we will do all together so that the SAG vehicle can follow behind us with lights flashing. Drink, drink, drink!

The past two days of riding have been some of the best I have ever done. I know that I will not do another long ride without Ben at my side. The women are fantastic company, they are wonderful cyclists, and I love being on the open road seeing new things, but the sights I am enjoying are ones which I wish that we could share, too.

PS Just for the record, my friend Nancy set up the maps for this ride and my 65th birthday is NOT this month, thank you very much!!! It is HER birthday.

4 comments:

Sloan Maes said...

Anne, I love reading about your trips. I feel like I am there! I admire your tenacity in cycling! Zumba, Tae Bo and swimming are about my speed!!! Be safe and your total for Hospice is at least $7000. I heard this last night. We appreciate you so very much!!!!

Nola Belding said...

Hi Anne,
It's so nice to read your posts about your 'visit' to Oregon. I am glad that it has gone well so far, and hope for continued success and cooler temperatures. The Deschutes is one of our rafting rivers, but we raft about 50 miles upstream from where you went swimming. Can't wait until you get to Sisters, but take your time and enjoy like you always do.

Unknown said...

Cheers Anne,
Much fun to read your journal. Wish I were there as it sounds like a beautiful ride. Hi to all the ST folks. We just returned from Wis. were we had 3 days of riding through the wooded countryside and over the many rolling hills.
Cheers, Barb L.

AnnieBikes said...

Thanks so much for all your notes! Sloan, I heard 10,000 so far!!! and Nola, I absolutely can't wait to see you! I went to a quilt shop today!! :-)