Sunday, May 17, 2009

Meadows of Dan, VA #2

Ben arrived on Friday afternoon, late, in Meadows of Dan, at Jack and Lee's home. I went to MoD on Saturday morning, stopping by Trail Days in Damascus, VA to see what was new. I had missed the past two years due to my two cross country bike rides. I saw a couple of neat, new, lightweight tents but no other gear that I couldn't live without. It was too early in the morning for the Kettle Corn cookers to be out, so I went on to MoD.

It really was a beautiful ride up 58 to central VA. Jack and Lee live in a lovely log cabin about 1 mile off the Blue Ridge Parkway, North of Mabry Mills. It was wonderful to see Ben looking so happy and relaxed despite the string of rainy days that he has had. He has now ridden somewhere around 600 miles. I had a wonderful tour of the grounds, garden, ponds, flowers, rabbits, falcon, hawk, pigeons, green house, and yard. It was truly a wonderful haven of nature.

Jack then took us to Floyd, VA where we visited the Jacksonville Center for the Arts. His wife Lee is the Development Coordinator. It is a wonderful place for artists and their work spaces, exhibits, and a shop for purchase of the various art produced there. I enjoyed an exhibit of quilts and another show "the Earth is our Home." After a trip to the grocery store for Ben to resupply, we went to supper club with Jack and Lee. It was quite a "small world" event as the host and hostess, as well as several of the guests, knew my good friend, Stamps, mother in Greensboro, NC. We ate asparagus out of Fran's garden and they were delicious. The meal was delightful and the location of the house on top of a mountain in MoD was extraordinary. It was an all around great day. I have missed Ben so much and it was great to see him so happy and healthy!

No comments: