Saturday, May 30, 2009

Jacob Francisco Memorial, Metric Century
(62 miles)

Ben was in Asheville today to take the Beer Judge Certification Exam. He has been taking a class since last August and the final test was today. He called to say it was really hard but that is all he said. The group taking the exam was going to hit up a few pubs and they were all spending the night over there tonight.

Since it was a beautiful day, I, of course, planned a bicycle ride. I never pass up an opportunity to ride with friends, especially at an "event". Today was the Jacob Francisco Memorial Metric. Jacob was a 6 year old boy who died from the complications of E. coli in 2004 and this ride is held yearly to raise funds for a Lectureship Fund in his name. Randy, Eugene, and Kathy, three of my regular riding friends rode it with me and what a ride! It was a gorgeous day, started out cool, and warmed up, but not too hot. The ride took us immediately on a climb over Buffalo Mt. and we rode through beautiful farmland, past fields of strawberries, corn, tobacco (yes, they still grow it here!), and other kitchen gardens. After all the rain we have had, the Nolichuckey River was running high and brown! We crossed it about five times. About 100 people rode the various ride options, 5, 25, or 62 miles. It did not seem that very many people did the long option since the parking lot at ETSU was about empty when we arrived back there.

The ride was very well supported with four rest stops with good food, friendly people, and gatorade, including a stop run by a Boy Scout Troop in downtown Jonesborough, TN. There were lots of tourists and I felt like I was doing the Tour de France!!! I was so pleased with how I rode, compared to the Metric in Burnsville, NC after I had been sick for two weeks. I had the best time of the season, so far, and rode strong the whole 62 miles. I am quite pleased with the training that I have done in the past month. It has really helped me alot. Now, I can't wait to go out with Ben again. Since he is retired, we will be able to go when WE want to, not just when the weather cooperates on the weekends.

So many people have asked me how it is having Ben at home all the time. Well, he left the very next day after he retired to do his three week ride. He returned home and spent every waking moment studying for the exam which was this morning. Maybe now I can find out what it will be like to have him here!

Thanks again to my great cycling friends for a wonderful day...the sights...mountains, rivers, and lovely farms. ...the sounds..river, birds, and groaning up the hills. ...smells...of honeysuckle, freshly mown grass, and fruit and cookies at the rest stops! It was awesome!

No comments: