Friday, July 31, 2009

Portland, Day 4

We got up a little later today and I did my laundry, packed up for the move to the WomanTours hotel, the Marriott Downtown Waterfront. Jennifer went on a short ride to check out our route for tomorrow and came back shortly after I was finished my “chores”. The drive downtown was, uh, difficult, but we made it despite a wrong turn or two, one way streets, and traffic. It was hard to say good bye and I truly wished that she had been able to ride with us. But work and family obligations overruled and back to Sequim, WA she went. Thanks, Jennifer for an awesome three days.

There were already lots of the group mingling in the lobby and it was soon after that I started seeing some of my Southern Tier and UGRR friends. The group was quick to discover new friends and old alike! There were several long lost reunions and soon we found ourselves in the orientation meeting with introductions of all riders. Our leaders, Linda, the cook and Denise, the guide, were delightful. Linda was a chiropractor in the past and a self taught cook. She loves to cycle and came to WomanTours 2+ years ago. She said it was her perfect melding of work and play. Denise was a rider on the ST a few years ago and liked it so much that she came back as a guide. Both seemed friendly and ready to get on the road, as we all are! Many of the women have been on other WT trips and at least 17 have ridden across the country! It is wonderful to be riding with a group of such great riders!

Dinner was nice. Afterward, guests were introduced and those raising funds. Only two people are raising funds, Nancy N. and me, her for the Educational Foundation of Metter, GA, and me for Hospice.

My roommate, Pam, was delightful, and we talked late. I am ready and eager to ride tomorrow! Reid called to wish me luck and safety! I also talked to a friend met on the internet when her husband rode the Southern Tier this past spring on his recumbent. They may try to come downtown tomorrow morning and see me off. That would be so much fun.

I will post pictures as soon as I can. HA! No camera!! Sorry!

No comments: