Saturday, April 25, 2009

Burnsville Metric Century

The Burnsville Metric (62 miles) is a ride we have heard about for years so decided to go when several of our cycling friends signed up. When we registered a month or so ago, I did not know I would be sick for two weeks before the ride, and have no training rides for three weeks before. Oh well! We got up at 5:15 am, ate, loaded our bikes and Eugene's and the three of us headed for North Carolina. We met another car load and had a quick breakfast (I ate at home) and then it was Burnsville (a total of 1.5 hours away).

The day was spectacular, the wildflowers were everywhere and over 300 riders started the ride at 9 am. I rode with Randy, another friend we met over there, since my group from Bristol was just too darned fast for my decreased level of fitness! He is a great rider and much younger :-) but he put up with me for 40 miles. That was when we finally managed to catch up with the others at a rest stop. Then Kurt rode the rest of the way with me as Randy took off with the fast pack. He deserved it after those first 40. I had to stop before the last hill into town to eat something and then we rode in. The others had been at the car for 30 minutes or so. We ate lunch in town and headed for Bristol.

We stopped to look for my cyclometer which flew off the bike on a rough section of pavement at the beginning of the ride. The only thing we found was the remains of a crushed piece of electronics. I guess it was run over by a car after it flew off. Well, I had the Garmin and I have another Cateye at home that I can mount on the bike as backup.

All in all, it was a great day. I wish I had been in better condition but that will return now that I am riding again. The friends were great, flowers awesome, and the weather perfect. We heard some people talking about how cold, rainy, or foggy it has been in the past. We did not even have to wear arm warmers at the start. How nice is that!

No comments: